Thursday, March 22, 2012

Grumble, Grumble

Alright, before I go into mini-rant, I just want to say all of Zephyr, Jasmine and Beckett are extremely dog social. They have good communication skills, they have good meet+greet skills. Zephyr doesn't like high-energy dogs in his face and is a bit of 'you get once chance' type -much like me-. Pay attention to me the first time! Jasmine is scared by high-energy dogs, she is 'too submissive', like the person who runs around being mousy and thinking they're going to be beaten by a hard word (I'm sure you know them). But overall, they are all very well socialized as far as dogs are concerned.

But good golly, I'm getting just a little bit sick of Zephyr and Jasmine picking on Beckett -and Beckett letting them get away with it! Zephyr has tried to pick on Lemon but she's told him off. I didn't really know Jas had a bone to pick with Beckett, but apparently she's following whatever Zephyr does these days. (she's really just the odd time here and there). Beckett is the biggest dog here, he has an extremely good tell off, but will he use it. NO! Gah. He very sullenly does what he's told, even when its verges on being mean.

Zephyr gives him the hairy eye from the corner and raises his lip. Fair warning, but Beckett can't see him. So Zephyr kicks him off his bed and will basically herd him wherever he feels fit. Beckett just does what he's told, even if that means Zephyr's pushed him into the bedroom and won't let him out. Zephyr will let Lemon cuddle with him, and if he's in a particuarly good mood, he'll go cuddle with Beckett, but if Beckett moves one toe out of line, Zephyr turns the snap on. Now, its not like there's been any damage or whatever -Zephyr is just obviously in charge as far as dog pecking order goes. Well, that's not true, Lemon is at the top. She doesn't boss, but she doesn't put up with being bossed.

So I'm trying to make the boys sort it out themselves, -its not anything bad, it's just ANNOYING and I can tell Beckett isn't all to happy about it!- I just wish Beckett would grow a backbone and Zephyr would stop being a jerk --he's only a jerk to Beckett, he's a really great boy otherwise, and especially loves the little dogs--.

Oh, and Zephyr briefly found out yesterday that couches are very comfy. Until Beckett came by for a scratch and Zephyr went guarding dog and Emily went 'F-off, this is MY couch, Beckett is MY dog, and YOU are TOAST!'. I don't think he'll want to hang on the couch for awhile. I might have overreacted a titch, but someone's gotta snap around here for time to time!

I think Jasmine might be hiding in her crate for the rest of the night mind you -any correction and she goes into 'OMG, I'm so sorry' mode. Sigh, don't worry girl, I don't think I'll ever really need to correct you, and if I do, you have a dirty look reserved. Just like people, everyone needs to be told a bit differently.

Oh, and going to Zephy/Jasmine meet+greet tomorrow morning. Hopefully they'll be liked :) There's more interest in Jasmine going in, but I wouldn't doubt Zephyr's power to win over people. Hopefully they will see what I see: nice, fairly easy-going, friendly dogs ready for families. If they want Jasmine, they'll just have to be ready for a week or two of possibly difficult transition. Which reminds me, I should probably start up the 'walk Jasmine alone, develop confidence without the pack' thing cause if she ends up being an only dog, that might be a fight to conquer for people who aren't knowledgeable about building confidence.

And today, I've decided, providing TG is up for it, over the summer, I want to foster some puppies! I miss my Dayo (now Suhki) and curbing behaviours right from the get-go. I never used to be a puppy person, but by golly, I do think it would be nice to have one I could work with from the very beginning. I've been spying on Duck Tollers online, and although I very much doubt I would get a purebred puppy (mostly because, you know, rescue), I must admit, I'd really like a toller. And, I've convinced Jerrad, providing we get to renew our lease, that we can foster-fail a puppy ;). If he had his way we'd still have Dayo.

I have my hairy eyeball out. Until then, I'll enjoy whoever comes my way, and all the puppies at daycare -its puppy season and they're starting to flood in!

Alright Zephyr, you better be a gentlemen the rest of the night. I'm in a pissy mood, and if Beckett won't tell you what's what for being a big bully to him, I'll get my bully on you myself!

Hopefully some good news tomorrow :)

Emily Out

No comments: