Sunday, March 4, 2012

Here Comes the Hard Part

It's sometimes just feels wrong to say "there is only one perfect family out there". That mytical 'it was meant to be' thing. Truth is, there are multiple awesome families out there.  Tonight here I am to try to decide which family is just a titch more perfect. I've had multiple awesome applications before, multiple meet+greets, multiple excellent scenarios. But I've been lucky that 9 times out of 10, the dog let's me know where they need to go. Unfortunately, this time Chow hasn't given me 'the sign'.

We met with three different families today, and each was awesome in their own way. Ultimately, home #2 had a middle aged dog that I'm pretty darn sure Chow would pester the heck out of (she doesn't take no for an answer when it comes to playing with Beckett, who has a similiar temperment to the Rotti mix). And a short fence she would probably jump. So, great family, not Chow's home.

The other two homes were perfect in different ways.

The first home we visited was a gorgeous fenced acreage property. (Could I drool anymore?) With a current higher-energy dog living there, Chow would have a great playmate, plenty of exercise, and at the same time have commitment to doing some obedience and making sure her socialization with people continues despite the rural location. Although the two dogs would have need a couple of days living with each other to figure out the relationship (the teen dog is very good natured, but isn't sure how to really communicate with Chow and get her to play), I'm sure they would very quickly figure out how to be playmates. Chow is too playful to not play with him quickly :)

The third home, Chow had really good chemistry with the people very quickly. She followed them around, and pretty much ignored us. Very nice backyard, people that are home almost all day, and lots of dog friends (but no housemate) on the block and that friends have. The husband is very active and will be able to give her ample exercise, and the wife works at a hospital and would love to be able to train Chow to be a therapy dog for seniors and children living at the hospital. (Something I think would really benefit Chow and continue her love for people). It isn't that Chow wasn't great or didn't like the first people (she was much more distracted by the big dog trying to get her attention with whatever gimmick he could find), just that for whatever reason I felt the energy was more spot on for the people in this home. It's really like pulling at straws though.

So, I'm going to think on it tonight. It's not just a question of what I think best, or what energy I feel more, or whatever small thing. It's the whole package. Chow has never been an only dog, I don't know if she could be an only dog (the third family is pretty sure they will get a #2, but that might be far off and not something I can make the decision on). Chow has come as far as she has only be the power of the pack. Would she be okay being an only dog? No, not would she be okay -she'd get through it-, but would she be HAPPY.

It's like judging an intense dance or something. There's a 9.9999 home, and there's the full 100, and I'm not quite sure which is which. So, I will sleep on it and hope the answer finds me by morning. I will make one family very happy, and I will have to break the hearts of the other.

Rescue, even in adoption, isn't all roses. But on the brighter side, I think Chow has found her home :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

serious decisions!
I wonder if some of the applicants who are interested
in Chow might be interested in one of her siblings- or one of those lovely pups who are fostered in vancouver?

Piper said...

Wow! Those both sound like amazing homes! Acreage and a playmate sounds awesome!..but so would being a therapy dog...one of my dogs is a therapy dog and I know how much he gets out of visiting people in hospitals and reading with children. That is a tough decision!

Today my latest foster left for her new forever home...I'm really going to miss this one! ...I really considered keeping her, but decided that I'd like to keep a little more space in the house to continue fostering...
Sometimes it's hard to let go...but she got an amazing home...so it makes it so worth it!

I'm sure Chow will have a "Happily Ever After" story either way!